Confirm details on the Japanese Government Scholarship here.
Selection Process: Applicant >> Japanese Embassy/Consulate >> Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT)
(1) Japanese embassy or consulate opens application at the request of MEXT.
Confirm the types and timing of programs open to application with the embassy/consulate in your area.
(2) Types of international students accepted at Niigata University are Research Students, Teacher Training Students, Undergraduate Students, and Japanese Studies Students.
(3) Candidates are selected by application document screening, written examination and an interview.
(4) If you are accepted and wish to attend Niigata University, you must find an academic supervisor at Niigata University and obtain permission for acceptance. (This does not apply to undergraduate students.)
(5) MEXT finalizes the selection based on the recommendation from Japanese embassies and consulates, and subject to consultation with the selection committee and prospective accepting universities.
Applicants who passed the primary selection for Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship
(i) If you are seeking acceptance as a graduate student or Research Student at Niigata University, or permission for acceptance as a Research Student, please fill out Inquiry Form. In submitting the form, upload the set of application documents submitted to the Japanese embassy/consulate (such as application form, academic transcript from the home university, recommendation from the home university, and research plan with the confirmation seal affixed by the Japanese embassy/consulate) and the certificate for passing the primary selection issued by the Japanese embassy/consulate.
(ii) Gather sufficient information on whether Niigata University offers programs/courses matching your objectives and research plan, and you can find your preferred academic supervisor. For further information about our researchers/academic staff and each graduate school, see Inquiry Form. We advise you to consider carefully to ensure that Niigata University offers what you are looking for.
This recommendation is available only Research Students and Japanese Studies Students.
Selection Process: Applicant >> Home Country University >> Niigata University >> Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT)
(1) Confirm that your university (home country) has a student exchange agreement with Niigata University.
(2) If you wish to attend Niigata University, consult with the academic supervisor at your university, and find an academic supervisor at Niigata University to obtain permission for acceptance.
(3) Procedure for recommendation by your university (home country) to Niigata University must be completed by mid-February.
(4) Niigata University will select a candidate based on application document screening, etc. and make a recommendation to MEXT.
(5) MEXT finalizes the selection based on the recommendation.
(a) Course Guide
(a) Course Guide